All that Jaz. No it is not about Jazz, or anything close to music. It is about my walk with God. How I jazz along with God on this road called life.

Monday, September 10, 2007

Waiting Room

Waiting for my turn to get a Medicaid card for my son, I sat along with perhaps a hundred people in a stuffy waiting room. There was AC in the room but I felt like the heavy breathing of people waiting exhausted the AC. There were all kinds of people there, Black, White, Hispanic, Asians, little children, elderly folks, you name it.

I waited for more than an hour before I was called to the window to get the needed documents. I was among the fortunate few who could leave within two hours. Most of the people there had been waiting for half a day already. During the 100 plus minutes of waiting, I came to observe how people treat “the masses” especially the masses of lesser advantage.

The waiting room at the Medicaid office was big enough for about two hundred people, but it had no speaker system. Staff would call out clients’ number indicated by a small monitor inside the staff station of the office where only people right in front of the station could see. If a client sat at the very far corners of the room, there was no way that they could hear the staff calling their numbers or see it on the monitor. I noticed that a few people almost missed their turn because they had no knowledge of their number being called. At one point, one of the clients was so frustrated that she would stand close to the staff station and repeat loudly the numbers called by the staff. It was certainly quite an awkward scene for the staff. The staff members there were all well-dressed, compared to their clients in their waiting room. Nonetheless, their expressions were mostly solemn, with the exception of one or two carrying a smile when greeting clients. Seeing those faces, I wondered what the staff saw in their clients. Do they see them as people with flesh and bone, just like them, but needing some help medically and financially, or do they see the clients as merely objects that come to the office for whom they process papers? I found out the answer for myself when it was my turn at the staff station, at least from the one staff member with whom I made exchanges.

With no smile on her face, she simply told me that my application number was not in the system. After verifying with another number I gave her, she told me to sit down and wait some more. Having waited for another what seems like a life time, I was called by the same lady again, and this time she gave me my needed documents. It seemed to me that she really had to rush to the next client since she was hardly delighted to answer the one question I asked.

Don’t mistake me here for ranting out against the Medicaid office or building up a case of distaste for the bureaucracy of the American government. My experience at the Medicaid office, if not pleasant, was in fact very humbling. On one hand, I accepted the help I very much needed and I was glad and thankful to get it. On the other hand, it makes me appreciate more the mercy and grace God has bestowed upon me. Unlike the staff in the Medicaid office (in my particular experience), God doesn’t see those who are needy as the “masses.” Psalm 139 tells us that God knows everyone of us by our name when we were in our mother’s womb. He sees us as individual, each and everyone as his precious child.

Like the people waiting at the Medicaid office, we in one way or the other, are in need. Imagine yourself at the Medicaid office, unlike what I described in the above, the staff actually recognizes you right away and greets you with love and warmth, and offers all they could do to help you. You would not have to wait in line, and you get their full attention right away! That is how merciful God is towards us when we come to Him with a request. In fact, Jesus had been in our shoes before as He himself has experienced firsthand some of the difficulties we face in this earthly life.

Hebrews 4:15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin.

God knows our needs and our weaknesses. It is up to us to lay them on the altar and let Him take care of you. Unlike the Medicaid’s office waiting room, the waiting room of God is spacious and welcoming, and you get His attention right away. Let us break any barrier between us and God and come to His altar. He will always be there listening with open arms.

Hebrews 4:16 Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOw...another Long one

Kat Master said...

Beautiful blog. I have had a similar experience and similar thoughts during my time. I am glad to see this written here.

Anonymous said...

Inspiring indeed.

agreenearth said...

Enjoyed your post.

Daisy Deadhead said...

Yes, me too... I need to read your words more often because I am often not grateful for what I have been given...

iriegal said...

This is a touching blog. Having to go in and out of hospitals for Chemo, I understand the issues involving health insurance.

But you know what? you are right GOD WILL ALWAYS PROVIDE WAY

Anonymous said...

Well said! Very inspirational...thanks for sharing.

Jack Payne said...

Thought-provoking stuff, indeed.
Closely mimics the waiting room of life.

Rob Singleton said...

Great post and blog.

Just curious… I wonder if you ever have the same frustration as I do? As a pastor of a large church, I have close to 1,000 readers a day on my blog, but still have a very low authority on Technorati. I’ve learned that this is because I don’t have enough links to my site.

Why does this matter? Because I want to start reaching out to people beyond just the church, and to do that I need to get this blog up higher on the search engines.

I was wondering if you would be willing to put in a link exchange with me at www.robsingleton.net. If so, please send me an email to robtherev@gmail.com showing me where you’ve linked it and I will do the same.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Pastor Rob Singleton

Anonymous said...

God of my understanding is God I don't understand. I just can't seem to wrap my finite mind around infinite love. But as a seeker God gives me a terrific GUI - Grateful User's Interface. A personal understanding and personal love which has grown over time to be the most important relationship I have ever known.

Love your writing. Thanks for visiting my house, too.

Anonymous said...

I love your sharing. It is inspirational and touching. I know the lord will continue to bless your household. Keep going, keep writing, keep sharing, keep touching and keep inspiring.

Maldives said...

You have great stories to tell nice blog.

Lance said...

Amen. God doesn;t see us as a number but as an individual.
Blessings,
Lance
www.lancessoulsearching.com
jgargus2@comcast.net
Email me if you want to exchange links.

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful. Your words just touched my heart!

Nader Shenouda said...

Very inspiring words....

Anonymous said...

You should write more and more. It lifts up one's spirit.

Anonymous said...

You must also have an amazing support from family. Keep going and keep inspiring. We need more of this type of writings.

Anonymous said...

Love your inspiring words.

Anonymous said...

I want to read another LONG one!

Babs (Beetle) said...

Love your blogs!

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog.

Kimba The White Lioness said...

It's very sad to hear that you felt like a mere "number". Unfortunately, some people simply shouldn't be working in the human services field if the message they convey to the public through their body language, words, and actions imposes that impression. I know that when I deal with people in the hospital, whether it's other staff, visitors, or patients, I try to make each one uniquely feel important in one way or another - it's usually accomplished through the simplest act, like giving a person your FULL attention for a moment or two, or a smile of greeting. I think that if we all took that initiative, the world would be a much more pleasant place to abide our time until the return of Christ. In fact, I believe it's not only a Christian's DUTY to reach out in this capacity to others, but it should also be their personal JOY to oblige because we have the knowledge and understanding that the lost do not, of how richly blessed we truly are in life. Kindness is contagious - pass it on.

Anonymous said...

Nothing like dealing with public services to give you a dose of reality.

ThomasCSlater said...

I enjoyed your little story, from the waiting room. I can relate with it very well because I have spent much of my life in the hospitals and waiting rooms. I use to get very frustrated for waiting "half a day", especially daily because of all my health problems. But than I started looking at the nurses and doctors point of view and for the most part they truly do care about their pastients, if they didn't why would they what to go through what they go through everyday? Like the stress of people getting angry for waiting, or having the disease that they have, why there is no cure and on and on. One of my favorite signs in the hospital, I have seen is "Have you hugged your nurse today?" Beleive me they are are hurting too, give them a hug, you will both feel better I promise!