All that Jaz. No it is not about Jazz, or anything close to music. It is about my walk with God. How I jazz along with God on this road called life.

Monday, May 23, 2016

the ACTS of prayer on requests God hasn't granted

We as a family have learned to pray with ACTS for quite some time now. A stands for Adoration; T stands for Thanksgiving; C stands for Confessions, and S stands for supplications. Sometimes in our family devotion time, we have become quite methodological and routine-ish with the way we pray with ACTS. The one element that is constantly changing is the S - Supplications, as we go through different requests for selves and others just about every week.

I have been twisting and turning, waking up in the middle of most nights the past two months or so. I have tried very hard to fall back to sleep but at times it would take me more than an hour to do so. I was told long ago that your state of mind is the most fragile in the middle of the night. During such moments of weakness, all kinds of destructive thoughts could enter and mess up your mind. I tend to agree. Like fragmented films, snapshots of worries and burden, from family, from my work and from church would pop up during those sleepless hours, and robbed me from a good night of rest.  

Several nights ago, I was awaken again at like 4 a.m., and that night what was different was that I got an urge to roll off my bed, knee down, and pray. So I prayed. I opened up my Bible, and literally prayed some verses back to God. So, last night, that same urge came up to me again. This time as I was praying, it was as if someone was whispering to me (there was nothing audible). I just had this light bulb moment. 

I got the idea that I should pray ACTS with all my S's! Well, this had got to be from the Holy Spirit as I am not that creative of a prayer warrior. 

So I figured that I should write out all of my requests. These are no small requests, and the answers will likely not come in a lightening bolt or in seconds, hours, days or even weeks of time. In fact, I've been praying them in S, for the last year or more, for some of them. 


Family:
  • Son's kidney ailment to fade away, so that he can grow taller, and that he will gain confidence and competence. 
  • Husband's business and vocation to have breakthrough, truly becoming the provider for the family. And that he will steer clear of lies and falsehood in regards to his business.
  • Adoption application, that it will be a smooth process. 

Church:
  • English worship and fellowship to increase in number, and to grow spiritually to become a vibrant ministry for His kingdom.

Self:
  • I will be able to find a new job or a new position where I can be a better earner, and have room to grow professionally and be used by Him. 
So, ACTS on all of the above, and I will start tonight. And if I wake up in the middle of the night again, I will get to do it twice in a day!

Quoting Tim Keller:
Expressions of need should go along with confession of God's greatness. Praise must accompany petition.

I will journal how this goes soon.

No comments: